Tuesday, November 8, 2011

11: Week of Oct. 31

ast week I blogged about things that kids said that made me laugh. Although they do make me laugh a lot, sometimes they make me want to cry because I realize what they go home to at night. One child was discussing killing himself (of course this was reported), referenced weed during a lesson, and said something about "dirty dancing like girls." Many Kindergarten students know all the popular songs and music videos, no matter how inappropriate they may be for a 5 year old. A child was doing the Dougie dance from the Teach Me How to Dougie song which really isn't a song for young children. After home visits, I was surprised at many of the homes and how dirty they were. Students come to school wearing extrememly dirty clothes. "Backpack Bear" who gets sent home with a different student each night had to be thrown in the laundry and sprayed with Lysol because the smell of smoke was so strong. One student's coat had what looked like dried throw up in it. There was also mud all over the front, and this was brought back more than one day. Some students almost fall asleep every day because they don't get enough sleep. One student told me she was moving because a man was mean to her mommy. All of these things just remind me that I really don't know what goes on at home. I need to take that into account when I am really frustrated with them. Their situations are not their fault, and they cannot make people help them at home. The best I can do is show them love while they are there, and hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.