I have been interning for 10 weeks now and have heard a lot of funny things that kids have said. Everyone says you should write the funny things down, so I have decided to write them all here!
I showed a picture of Abraham Lincoln and a boy told me, very seriously, that it was his uncle. Someone else knew George Washington.
I made "pumpkin pointers" for the students by gluing pumpkin erasers to popsicle sticks and writing their name on the stick.The word "China" was written on an eraser and someone asked why. I told them because it was made in China. His next comment was "Cool! An eraser from China! Did the Chinese boy know my name and write it on there for me, too?"
I said something about Asia and a boy asked me where that was. I told him it was the other side of the world. He said he used to live there. After he said that, four other students told me they lived there too.
During writing, I always do an example first. The first day, I wrote about a spider in my car. Many other students wrote that too. The next time, I wrote about jumping on the trampoline. Suddenly, everyone had trampolines. The third time, I wrote about working at a corn maze and I told them they better not write about that because I was sure they didn't work at a corn maze. One student still wrote about working at the corn maze and tried VERY hard to convince me of it! Someone else drew their own picture, but copied my sentence about working at a corn maze.
When doing an estimation worksheet, a student became very upset that her estimations were wrong because I wouldn't let her erase them. She thought she was being sneaky and changed her "85" to a "9." I said something about it and she just kept saying "I am right!" and getting closer and closer to my face while growling.
A student told me estimation is just like excavation.
A student came in late and I asked her what took so long (she had been known to play in the bathroom.) She replied, in front of the entire class, "I had to p.... I had to do number 2!"
When learning about symmetry, a student kept saying magical instead of symmetrical, so all I heard the whole time was "Mrs. Younkin, does this look magical?"
Some students' parents do their homework for them, and while its not funny, it is funny that they think I wouldn't notice!
A student told me the hardest part about writing workshop is reaching the pencil box. Another student said the hardest part was making triangles and the easiest part was making squares. I wasn't aware we did that during writing!
A little girl came to school and I could see some places on her body that had marker on them. I asked her why there was marker on her and she said because her brothers couldn't find any paper so they held her down and used her instead.
When learning the letters, I told a little girl that "D" was like d, d, dog. The next time we came to the card she said "Woof Woof!"
During home visits a student told us her mom had a tattoo of a bull on her butt. The mom was sitting right there... awkward!
The point of this is not to make fun of students, but just to remember the funny things that have happened! I know there are more, and I will add them as I think of them or experience them!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.